Thursday, November 5, 2009

Temple Treasures and a Map

Temple Treasures

Recently we went with a family in our ward to the Sacramento Temple so that they could see it together as a family. It was a fun and spiritual day for us. It is amazing to see children experience the temple. In August we had the privilege of attending the sealing of another dear family in our ward, the husband and wife to their 3 beautiful daughters. It was breathtaking to see the children walk into the room. To find out more about eternal families and sealing ordinances, go here.

Back to the first family, the Myers. This visit was especially dear to us because we have home taught and visit taught this family since we moved to Orland. These children helped me to overcome my fears of motherhood (yes Amy if you ever read this believe it or not, they did)! It has helped me to realize that raising children is a process and the way by which Heavenly Father molds and shapes us to be more patient, loving, considerate, and Christ-like people. I was so afraid that my weaknesses would keep me from being a good mother, but the innocence and love in these kids eyes melted my heart. They are precious jewels (and yes they still have their "ugh" moments I will attest).

I thought I'd share a few pictures from our day. I can't wait for the day they go as a family to be sealed!


That's our baby Gavin with Amy. He loves the temple. We've had to take him with us every time we go each month and so he is becoming quite familiar with the temple--love it!



As part of their first temple experience, I wanted to have a way for the family to learn more about the temple since there is no visitor's center at the Sacramento Temple and also to keep the kids entertained. Well, the young kids didn't have a clue about the treasure hunt, but I think it worked out pretty good for their older son. If you like the idea I suggest drawing up a map of your own with your local temple. I am definitely no artist and this was done way too late at night, but it did the trick. I didn't do this but if I use this again, I'll find objects to symbolize (since that's so much of what the temple is about--symbolism) the different "treasures" of the temple. For example, when we talked about the temple recommend I showed them my passport and compared the need to prove I am a citizen of this country when I want to leave or come back to the US to the need to prove I am keeping God's commandments he asks me to enter His house. I thought of white cotton balls to symbol being dressed in white and we talked about our baptismal experiences. I have another document with the specifics I taught them on each stop. If you want it, send me a message with your email and I can email it to you.

1 comment: